Wednesday, May 05, 2004

Today has been uncomfortable. I will not divulge reasons why. If you care, please ask, and don't say I didn't at least warn you.

Last night we went to Panic, which was good. I was dying for them to play a real rock out song, but it didn't happen. They did play the Foo's Everlong, which was bitchin'. Interesting things happen when I argue with Charl. An example:

I said that of course she would be a good investment banker, she's Jewish, and all Jews are incredibly good at finances.

She look aghast.

She said how do I explain her youngest sister, who is awful with money.

I said she probably wasn't Jewish.

She said of course she was Jewish, she has Jewish parents.

I said she was probably as Muslim or something.

She said how could she be a Muslim with blonde hair and blue eyes.

To be fair, she's right. She doesn't fit the picture of a Muslim. She does, however, fit the picture of a Aryan German, which is fairly ironic, considering.

This raises an interesting question about our identities depending on that which come from our parents. Do we necessarily begin life with the same attitudes and beliefs as our parents up to such a point we decide that they are wrong and we want to try something else? Or is it worse to shop around for the beliefs, religion, lifestyle until you find one you like? Are somethings above our ability to make a proper choice?

I want a biscuit.

Speak soon,

Craig.

No comments: