Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Hey,

Today I stopped to consider why it is people say "could care less" when they mean "could not care less". This is like the "inflammable means inflammable, what a crazy country" debate famously initiated by Dr. Nick, but in that case, the "in" is only a borderline negative, whereas "not" is pretty much a negative as negative can be. So I think to myself, I wonder if anyone else has thought about this so much they make a web page based on it. One quick Google search later reveal that 976 pages have commented on the use of the two phrase interchangeably. That is more pages than if you search for "peta wilson naked". OK, I had to find a fairly obscure hot female celebrity to get less hits, but still. Anyway, this is the best I've found at explaining the problem.

I also did a quick search for "hilary clinton naked", for kicks, which brought up over 3,000 hits. I find that distressing.

Anyway, back to more important things. Today I drove behind a lorry that was so wide it took up two lanes around the motorway junction island. It was so wide, it continued to take up two lanes along the road it left the island from, and just to make a point, it continued to take up two lanes for the next few minutes. After that I went a different way, hoping that news of its journey would be in the local newspaper so I could check whether or not it remained so wide all the way to the extra wide depot it probably came from. Rumours that once it hit Hinckley town centre it tranformed into first a Mini Cooper, then Octamus Prime, before finally settling on a submarine are as yet unproven. They have not been specifically denied however, so maybe we are not asking to right questions.

Speak soon,

Craig

No comments: