Sunday, August 21, 2005

Fine, fine, shut up, I'll tell you all about it.

Actually, this is going to take several entries, because there is a lot of stuff. Straight off the bat, Edinburgh is the most beautiful city I have ever been in the UK, and yes that includes Oxford. Also, for this month, it's also the most alive city I've ever been in. I mean, there is music and street theatre on every corner, and so many people, and 1800 shows on across all hours of the day. I became so wrapped up in that that when I came home and walked up Castle Street and saw a black guy playing reggae on electric guitar in the middle of the road, the only thing I thought was odd was the lack of a large audience. Ususally, in Hinckley, buskers get destroyed with weapons. I was so inspired I to started singing Do-Run to a group of skinheads, but I couldn't find anything to rhyme with "Knucklez", so I was destroyed with weapons.

So I got there three weeks ago this Monday, flying from East Midlands airport. I met Charlie there, who was flying at the same time, but on a different plane. Same time, same flight path, different plane. Anyone spot the mid-air collision that's just asking to happen? It was a good job that I did meet up with him, because he knew where he was going and what we had to do when we got there first, and I had just been given a Scottish five pound note as change and had no idea what was happening in my life.

Edinburgh itself is pretty much split into Old and New Town, for historic reasons relating to the passage of time. We had a student flat in the New Town, and when I say student flat, I meant five large bedroom, lounge, and fully equipped kitchen. These are some rich fucking students, that we had to kick out to make space for ourselves. You would have thought someone would have told them we were coming. Anyway, it quickly became apparent that there was too much to do, so I started looking for which shows I wanted to see. Including ones I got into free as a performer at C Venues, I got around to just over 30 shows, including stand-up, sketch and charachter comedy and theatre productions. I accept donations in cash, cheque, Paypal or tiny bits of tin. I'll be talking about some of the things I've seen and what was beautiful in the upcoming entries. And I will also be talking about the Imps shows, which went really well and I've come out feeling a much more confident and able improviser.

Oh, and if you want some scenes and stuff, I've got clips from my last show uploaded at the moment. It's all pretty good, one of my favourite shows for the lack of any slow scenes, so get downloading.

We are not done yet.

Craig

No comments: