Tuesday, May 15, 2007

So, Sunday was my fourth standup outing, and I'm really starting to get the feel of my own act. It was also a completely nerveless performance, and it gave me a lot of confidence that audiences will find my material funny, which is always the big risk with my one-liner based style of word play and punnery. I'm always worried the audience will realise they are too smart to be laughing at something this daft.

I've noticed audiences react really well to setups that are really absurd (singing cat in the back of my mouth, blood ham, small man in a bicycle wheel). I found this odd - I always assumed the best reactions would be on the gags which had more effortless setups, even though I personally am a mark for the really silly stuff. It's gratifying to be rewarded (with laughs) for that.

No comments: