Monday, June 04, 2007

Had a gig Saturday that was just slightly the wrong side of disaster - outdoors at the Magdalen punts party in a meadow with a barbeque and a bouncy castle was not conducive to people paying me any attention. Bless the six people who were friends of Lucy Imp for sitting there and giggling at appropriate intervals, but most people really weren't into it, and I got no momentum. And I need momentum for my act to work.

As it was, I got the biggest laugh from some joke someone else made to their friends while not listening to a joke I made, which was really uncomfortable because for a second I thought I'd got my first decent reaction. I suppose, if I was more experienced, I would have abandoned set and tried to get people interested by ad-libbing and interacting. But that may have been even worse and desperate, so I just put my head down, did some jokes, didn't leave much pause for the lack of laughter to become too apparent, and took my £20.

£20 for not being entertaining. I should have done this before.

No comments: