Saturday, June 09, 2007

I had a frustrating gig at Stand Up For Darfur last night. I don't think it was nerves (though you probably couldn't tell from the unintentional frantic pacing across the stage which I really can't explain) but about half way in I went blank. Nothing. I couldn't even recall my emergency backup jokes. I managed to bring it back around when I remembered what I was doing, but for a good few seconds (and they felt lengthy) I was lost. Awful feeling.

The reaction to my set was a little muted as well, though I don't think it fell all that flat. Obviously my own patchy performance was a major contributing factor to this, and coming on and just telling some jokes after Lorenzo's show-stopping sketches also didn't help. I also never felt any connection between me and the audience, and is something I will need to work out. My act should work better if we come together in a kind of "you know this is dumb, I know this is dumb, but being dumb is OK" type of feeling. If I am not charming and likeable or the audience start to feel that this isn't worth their time it'll go badly.

Things to do next time: Stand still, stay calm, don't think too hard, smile.

No comments: