Saturday, August 16, 2008

So, I'm still up at 3.30am because I wanted to watching the swimming finals, and it turned out to be an excellent decision. Firstly, Phelps wins his seventh gold, and until I saw the replay, I have no idea how. I thought maybe the timing system just didn't want Phelps to lose. Cavic looked like he was already on the wall when Phelps still had daylight between his hands and the pad. The super slow-mo showed how Cavic lost it in the last 20cm. Incredible.

Then, Becky Adlington's 800m was as perfect an individual swimming performance as I can recall, and the magnitude of her achievement can not be overstated. A British swimmer with two gold medals, and a world record. It's enough to bring a tear to your eye. Actually, it did. An absolute joy to watch.

No comments: