Sunday, October 26, 2008

I am a monumentous dumbass.

We have received a car from Cath's parents, in a kind of hand-me-down fashion after Cath's grandfather's car was passed on to Cath's mum. We drove it from Cardiff on Monday. With both of Cath's parents watching,I reversed off the drive, but because of car's parked all around the exit, I could not see well. Thinking a small gap had emerged, I backed into the road cautiously, expecting cars would slow down as they approached and let me get out.

This happened for one of the flows of traffic. From the other direction, I hear a blast of a horn, and the sickening thunk of steel-on-steel, as another car passed by my left rear wing. Speaking to the (WOMAN) driver after, she said she thought I had stopped as I back out, and had opportunity to squeeze past. I, unfortunately, did not see her - from the angle I was backing out, she was in a bit of a blind spot, and moved a little further, causing the collision. The shock and the damage was reason enough for my stomach to turn, but with the people who had just given us the car watching, this was utterly mortifying.

I was taking it entirely on faith that I could back out at that time, but with no ability to see properly, I seemed like the only thing to do. I believe I was to blame for it - it was me who pulled the car out. However, I have no idea why the other car tried to drive on past, and the more I think about it, the less I can believe she was quite so reckless.

A quick summary. Length of car ownership period: 45 seconds. Damage incurred: £260.

Damn you, expensive parts and labour. DAMN YOU.

No comments: