Thursday, June 11, 2009

I can't get back to regular blogging until I write about the wedding and everything. Enough stalling. My problem is I really don't know what to say to you (the gentle reader) that you probably haven't already said to both Cath and myself. So we'll see how this goes.

Obviously, we had a brilliant day. In all the ways that matter, we thought it went perfectly.

Some details you wouldn't know. The night before we were seperated, although much to Andy's chagrin we spoke several times. Cath likes tradition, but likes me more. I've never cared about tradition. I had a fun night with Murray, Scott and Adam -food, drink (Coke) and a lot of pool. I didn't really sleep much. I struggled to eat a bacon sandwich the following morning, predominantly out of nervous excitement rather than any fear. If you saw me before the ceremony I hopefully looked as calm as I felt, any nerves having departed by the time I started getting ready. Having seen the wedding photos, it's weird seeing me smiling and chatting and generally dicking about downstairs while upstairs Cath's room is much more serious as all the preparations are going on.

We had this plan for the ceremony that failed. Cath knew she would be nervous being watched by a room full of people, and she had decided that she would just focus on me. All the way down the aisle I could tell she had a fixed expression on her face, which made me think for a second something was wrong (she told me after that before she entered the room, she felt really lightheaded and wobbly). I had no preconceptions about what she would look like, and needless to say, she blew me away.

The ceremony is a blur - I don't think we stumbled over our words, and my general impression was that it was lovely. Afterwards, I can't remember ever being yelled at some much - a lot of people had a lot of need for my time. It's exhausting, but at the same time, I am aware I may never be (joint) centre of attention like that again. We were pleased with the food, although dinner did drag on a little. The one part that was worrying me was the speeches (or at the very least mine) but I was pleased with it, and everyone has been really nice afterwards (so thankyou). It was great getting the Imps to perform for all our families and friends, almost all of whom had never seen me do improv before (after four years). It wasn't strictly speaking a good set, but it was an entertaining one, and seemed to be a hit.

And then there was a fun evening of dancing and trying to catch up with far too many people - so for everyone I said "I'll be back in five minutes" (and who might still be waiting), I apologise. Several family members have commented that they liked how full the dancefloor was throughout - I blame (and thank) Imps.

Married life, thus far, has brought very few changes. Maybe the biggest one is that I now need a new clap - my old one keeps hurting my finger as it bangs into the ring. No-one warned me about that. The official photos are available to view online (if I haven't already sent you the info). Go to our photographers website (www.robwhealphotography.com), go to the client area. Then, email me for the password and login details. There are some fantastic shots of many of you, so you should definitely look at them.

I will talk about Cuba next time.

No comments: