Sunday, August 02, 2009

There's important life changes going on related to employment next year, but until I have it all sorted, I'm not writing about it. Check back in two weeks, when I should know. It will either be great, or I will need to sell my organs to you.

It occured to me recently that I don't know what to do when people tell me a joke, where by joke I mean the kind with in the traditional elaborate setup and punchline format. Whenever this happens, my brain can't stop worrying that this joke had better make me laugh, so as not to offend or embarrass the joke-teller. Humour generally occurs when there is a gap between the expected and the unexpected, leading to laughter as an expression of surprise or possibly relief. It is very hard to be really surprised and spontaneously laugh at something when all of your mental energies are now directed towards spotting the end of the joke and producing a socially appropriate level of laughter.

The net result is generally a short burst of what must sound like a very forced chuckle, and a lot of nodding, as I try to convey that while I didn't react like that was a funny joke, I nevertheless want the joke-teller to know that, "Yes, I can see why that might be considered humourous - well done".

But here's a truth. Children laugh ten times as often as adults. And we should all laugh more. Scientists have shown that there are many health benefits from laughing - it releases endorphins into our bodies, much like a good work-out, strengthens the heart and lungs and generally improves our prospects of surviving until a good age. And if you think about it, it makes sense. After all, children do tend to live longer than adults.

(This is where you force a chuckle and nod excessively)

No comments: