Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Hey,

I looks like we are all Oxford bound, baby! Oh yeah! Woot woot! Hammer time. The weather's turned crap, the Management tutor has invited me to her office to discuss my holidays, and the Webmail home page has become "So, you're new to Oxford and you're stupid, don't worry, we can help..."

The meeting at the business school irks me off for a number of reasons I'm only too happy to go into. Firstly, I have never been taught by this woman, and I never will. All I can report, while the other two relay stories of their incredible adventures over yonder sea where they battled the elements, tended to the sick and combed their hair, is that I've worked for cash, I've studied, and I've visited my girlfriend. Are you happy now, Doctor Laura? Do you feel invigorated by that knowledge?

Second reason. I hate the business school. I hate everyone who gladly walks around its perfect shiny halls hoping that one day, the knowledge they learned there will look good on a CV so they can get the highest paid job for the most faceless corporation and spend the next forty years making themselves, and all the suits around them that bit richer. Big brain, small minds.

We went to see Saw this evening. My nerves are shot to pieces, and I ain't gonna sleep properly for at least the next two nights. It's so fucking twisted and violent and by-god absorbing and as I walked out, my legs felt distinctly wobbly. It's like Seven in its ability to come up with such sick and depraved facets of human nature, but much, much more so. It's certainly not afraid to focuses heavily the suffering and the sheer panic and terror of victims. The camera work is excellent and works, almost all of the time, speeding up drawn out nasty scenes which at the same time makes them that more distrubing and harrowing. Yes, fuck, harrowing was the word I was looking for. Sitting in the packed cinema, you could feel the audience tense and squirm and jump. And the ending, the final twist, just when you think the movie couldn't mess with you anymore, chews you up and spits you back one more time, just for kicks. In terms of execution, originality, suspense and intricate plot writing, Saw is awesome. I'll leave it for better critics to pick for holes. In the meantime, I'm off to check what that noise was in the kitchen.

Speak soon,

Craig

No comments: