Friday, October 08, 2004

Hey,

I've still got assorted parts of a cold, specifically part II (runny nose) part IV (dry throat) part VIII (groin rash) and part XII (cigarette burn to the arm), so bear with my if I sound a bit bunged up. What? Don't you think I can sound bunged up on a blogg? Cheeky mudderfuggers...

We had a pretty decent night at the Cellar last night. I had this great idea that we could stop by there on the way to Sabotage in future, because of the live bands and the cheap beer. Of course, I let Dave say it first, and then I pretended for a few minutes that I didn't like the idea, and then I posted the idea on my blogg, and then he saw it and claimed that it was in fact his idea in the first place, and then we had words and as far as I know we havent spoken to each other for nearly two years now.

On a serious note for this blogg, I'd like to express, as I'm sure does everyone, the utter most sympathy for the Bigleys. It is a huge tragedy when a life gets ended for someone else's fight. The man never started a war, nor saw to it the female Iraqi prisoners were held. Though I also think it important to be sensible where we target our anger at his murder. It would be easy to blame our prime minister for his death, but that is not the case. The blood is on the hands of the killers, and the killers alone. It may be that with this war, Mr. Blair has put his people at considerable risk, one that he can only just be realising the full extent of, but he did not order this horrific execution. As a critic of the war, I still think it is important to question the core issue, that the war was initiated on tentative grounds that have since been unproven, so that we are in effect the aggressors, rather than acting on defence grounds. It would easy to allow deeply emotional issues to become the banner of the anti-war feelings, but I think this weakens the argument, as sympathetic as it may be. If it did so it would be "the war is bad because this man died" rather than the original contention "the war is bad because it works against everything the civilised world has fought to create in the past sixty years".

For once, I'd actually like to hear other opinions.

Speak soon,

Craig

No comments: