Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Hi,

In keeping with the serious agenda...

For those who like to think about people they don't know, may I recommend sparing a thought for the families of the four men who are alleged to have carried out last Thursday bomb attack. For them, this will be even harder. Those who lost a love one in the exlosions will at some point be able to come to terms with the loss. For the families, how can they ever come to terms with the fact they'll never know why?

For those who don't see a copy of the Sun lying around at work, yesterday they ran an article about an Islamic group who was bringing Tariq Ramadan, a Islamic militant who has been banned from the US and France for his justification of suicide bombing, to speak at a conference, which is being paid for by taxpayers, and how it should be stopped. And I thought to myself, "what a disgusting, arrogant, fear-mongering group of people...the journalists at the Sun really are." Firstly, the story is run at a time when many people are thinking with emotions and not with sense. It's designed to provoke a very negative sort of anger, one that reinforces stereotypes. Secondly, the very freedom of speech that allows the Sun to continue to publish every day is the exact same one argued against here. Freedom of speech does not have limitations. From my point of view, Ramadan is wrong, but he was not involved in the bombing last week, and he should not be prevented from speaking because we don't like the message. They are just words. I am proud of my country for few things, but that I have the right to say whatever I want whenever I want here is one of them. Dear tabloids, don't you fucking dare try to question this right to pursue your own "Isn't Britain a terrible place, but we have the answers" agenda and stop selling your newspapers on stories that foster hatred and play on emotions.

Oh, and for those who like to hate others, I can't recommend reading this too much.

Enough.

Craig.

No comments: