Monday, July 21, 2008

On Saturday, we went to see Kung Fu Panda. I was massively disappointed with this movie. First of all, there was all the stealing from Fight Club. The dojo is basically a club for fighting in. Po is a everyman character who dreams of escaping his mundane noodle-making life. The panda and the leopard are the same person. I could go on.

Plus, there were some quite enormous plotholes. For starters Po is a PANDA, and his father is a GOOSE. And how is it possible to make somebody just explode using a fingerhold? I almost started to cry when he gave the explanation about how he learned it - he "worked it out"? Come on, that doesn't make any sense.

Also the moral messages were horrible. Maybe I don't want to be a kung-fu fighting panda, or a kung fu fighting mantis, or a kung fu fighting...whatever Shifu was supposed to be. Maybe I'm happy not knowing kung fu/happy not being an animal. And don't even start me on the overwhelming misogyny - women in this movie were reduced to being either tigers or vipers. I would avoid film at all costs, and would instead go and watch Wanted, a movie universally loved by all.

(Just so we are clear about this, I loved Kung Fu Panda. I also love being a dick.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's because of people like you that young people are growing up in Britain today without any ambitions to be kung-fu-fighting animals. My two years' compulsory kung fu made a man of me (and also a horse). Little wonder immigrant binge stabbing has reached epidemic proportions.