Sunday, March 21, 2004

My milk shake brings all the boys to the yard,
And they're like "its better than yours",
Damn right its better than yours,
I can teach you, but I'd have to charge.

Please, someone explain this to me. I don't get it. And why do I keep singing it. Kelis, what have you done to me?

*Ahem* 21 Grams was a pretty great film. It is quite complicated, but we made it to the other side without losing it completely. It's all about life and death, and how people deal with both. It's about what we lose when we die, what we gain when we survive, (21 grams), and how much this burden can be ("how heavy is 21 grams?"). Small segments of it the film are shown in a near random order, and only as the film reaches its ends does the story and the way in which the lives of the three main charachters become clear. This perfectly reflects the interwinned nature of the lives the film depicts, and consequently takes what would be a relatively simple linear plot and makes it that more absorbing. The final scene is the same as the first scene, but you only realise that it is the actual final scene at the end, as Penn ends up where you thought he was somewhere near the middle of the film. It's a powerful, emotive piece of cinema, and if I see anything better this year, I'll be surprised. You should all go see it.

Eddie vs. Rey on Smackdown was bitchin'. They bring the lucha goodness to the US mainstream and I'm loving it. I laugh that WCW spent years bringing in luchadores by the dozen, and the crowds never really cared. In Rey and Eddie, the WWE has two workers who know how to blend lucha libre into conventional US style matches, and the crowds are loving it. The UK Smackdown version was a little clipped, but I can live with it. Best TV match of the year.

Speak soon,

Craig

No comments: