Monday, August 16, 2004

Hey,

It is worth noting I bear the aforementioned bastard no actual blame in my desperate and ultimately fruitless attempt to reach the train. I was just lashing out. Thankfully, I found my blogg before I found a moped and some schoolchildren crossing the road.

I read this interview with Matt Zane from a band called Society 1. He talks about his interest in suspension. This is where people stick big hooks into their back and are suspended from the roof. The thing I never realised is that these hooks go through muscle, rather than skin like with a piercing. When the person is lifted up, the muscle is pulled away from the body, completely seperating it from the backbones. By allowing the body no release (sexual or otherwise) for a period of time before this the extreme pain acts as release, blurring the minds distinction between pleasure and pain. According to Zane, sex afterwards "it's like losing your virginity all over again". Even given this fact, it is hard to understand a mind that would be attracted to this, but I think words such as "sick" and "wrong" are too easy, and from an outsider, completely worthless. Because, lets face it, what exactly do you know?

The one thought that did strike me was: who first thought this might work? Quite aside from it actually being practiced, how was it invented? Was it Self Mutilation Experiment #37? Did #11 (penis in the blender) not quite, ahem, cut it? Was #24 (Sandpaper Looroll) too unhygenic? And what of #31 (Twister on fire)? "Left foot, yellow. I mean red. Well, now its just black and crispy."

I find the more alternative parts of society fascinating and terrifying at the same time.

Craig

No comments: