Monday, December 06, 2004

And now for something completely cultural.

I sent off me and Cath's Christmas list to her Mum today. When she sent it to us, she included an accompanying poem. Anyone who has known Cath since the first year knows she write silly yet quite cool poems whenever she writes to us. Anyway, I sent one back, which I thought I'd repost here for posterity.

Sue, I fear you will go quite ballistic,
When you see my list is this optimistic,
I'm sure that I've given you plenty of ideas,
Not just for now, but the next twenty years,
I hope I haven't asked for more than I oughta,
(After all, I'm only boyfriend to your daughter),
That your shopping trips will do you know harm,
(And the credit card bill ain't as long as your arm)

The problem for Cath was less one of greed,
But rather she had no clue what she would need,
Perhaps, out in France, she is that well equipped,
She needs nothing more than the Pernod she sipped
For breakfast, lunch and dinner, and I note with a laugh,
The previously full bottle is now down to half,
Half empty or half full? the question will tell,
Whether you, like me, are optimistic as well.

Now to my mind, the word laugh and half don't rhyme. Of course, I'm not ... lesbian kiss on Neighbours. Sorry, I was saying something. Well, no way I can work out what that was now.

Craig

No comments: