Saturday, January 15, 2005

Hey,

I don't think I've ever had a first weekend just being all up in my face with its big and empty. I have no other collections, I have no deadlines until Thursday, so I guess I should just make the most of it. I'm hoping that maybe the most can make the me of it, thus saving me the effort, but with just as much fun and flavour.

I went to a cinema at half eleven this evening. This is exciting. What is better is we went to see I Heart Huckabees. I was pretty sure people didn't make films like this. The film is stuffed full of casual, throwaway absurdity (not the sort of absurdity that is the entire point of the exercise but the sort that happens while the rest of the scene unfolds) and clever, silly lines that make up an incredible fast-flowing dialogue where there is no punchline. I'm totally in love. And yes, it is about existentialism, but not in a way that says "here, this is what it is all about", but more in a way that says "hell, we don't know what its all about". I think that's the meaning: that there is no right way to think about anything, and that others can't give you some easy answers. I think that's the meaning. And if its not, well, its still funny as hell.

Speak soon,

Craig

No comments: