Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Hey,

Megadeth were incredible. The performed a perfect set, with plenty of the old classics and seamless transition across songs. Occasionally, they would clear the stage, leaving the bassist on his own the play, taking a quick breather before building into another blistering thrash metal assault. Their sound was just shattering, where you could feel the noise as much as hear it. Dave Mustaine is such an absorbing front-man as he sneers through each song: I couldn't not watch him all the time. I chew people out for using the word genius, so we'll go one step down and call him a fucking KING. Plus, and here's the really great bit, he is an awesome guitarist. You end up stopping everything, including breathing, just to watch.

They packed in loads: "Symphony of Destruction", "Tornado","Trust", "Holy Wars" (a fantastic long version as an encore) and "Hanger 18". They also covered "Paranoid" as the penultimate track. Half way through they played a track I knew I recognised, which I didn't think was a Megadeth track, even though it sounded right. "Holy fuck", I thought "this is an early Metallica track". I was going to start that rumour. It was "The Four Horseman". It was beautiful.

Speak soon, and hopefully hear sooner,

Craig

No comments: